Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Creativity Corner for 5/8-5/14/11

I consider myself a frustrated artist. "Frustrated" in that I haven't shown any real discernible talent in any accepted media that I have attempted up to this point. Likewise, the term "artist" is being used quite loosely here, perhaps more in spirit than reality.

This, however, doesn't keep me from trying, and I have found somewhat acceptable proficiency in cake decorating and some jewelry design. Last week I found myself wrapped (trapped?) in cake and jewelry ideas, which also led to my lack of blogging on either of my blogs. Due to my obsessive nature it is probably best to assume I will repeat this behavior in the future, and maybe the best way to make up for my neglect (even if it is just largely making up to myself) by periodically having a recap ..a Creativity Corner...for the previous week.

So, time for show and tell! This week I:

1). Made earrings. Not the cute rhinos my eldest gave to me, but the green circles. They are actually hand painted 1.5 inch metal washers. I painted them with acrylics and sealed them with a crystal glaze to make them all shiny. This was actually a week long project because there was supposed to be a second circle above the larger one, but it turned out that trying to paint and seal smaller washers was an exercise in futility for me. After much angst, I abandoned that part of the project. YOu can see some of my various "art" in my etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Carli613





2.) Made a birthday cake for my sister. Yes, that is a cow, and no, this is
not some sort of commentary on my feelings toward her. She requested a cow. Specifically, a strawberry cow with cream cheese icing. She was delicious. The cow cake that is, not my sister.






And 3) Made my best friend's wedding cake spread.

This is the completed "project" Congrats Mary and Dave!

The brides cake was an orange cake with honey orange butter cream. I drizzled the top with creamed honey. Those sweet peas, I found growing on the side of a hill while collecting the honeysuckle! How lucky was that? I loved them! And I thought the "honey comb" around the cake in white chocolate was pure genius. I wish I had thought of it! You can see where I stole the idea from here http://pleasesirblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/unique-wedding-cake.html

The brides cake


The grooms cake was pretty simple: Cinnamon cake with chocolate fudge icing. Originally, there wasn't one, but as I started on the brides cake i decided that was a crime given the grooms love of cake!

Grooms cake. All weddings should have some chocolate!
And then finally the cupcakes. They were flavored like the brides cake. I also drizzled those, but apparently they got too warm and the honey melted to a glaze on the cupcakes.

Melty, but delicious cupcakes! Yum!
Stashed between the jewelry and cake making extravaganza, I helped work an all day Arbonne spa party. This is when I discovered that I not only forgot to have lunch before leaving for the party, but I also neglected to shave my legs before having to bare them to soak my feet in a foot bath with clients. Seriously, who wants to discuss beauty products with a wookie?

This was, fortunately, only a minor set back and probably one that existed only in my mind. All in all...a pretty crazy, but mostly successful week last week! I hope the same for you all...crazy fun success :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment