Thursday, May 5, 2011

Your Thoughts Are Belong to Me

My three year old at breakfast:
"Mommy?"
"Ella?"
"Mommy, I asked you for a mermaid costume, and you said 'yes'."
Momentary silence, while Ella munches toast and I contemplate whether this conversation actually ever took place.
"Um, no, I don't think so" I reply.
"Yes, you did, my friend Jasmine heard you."

She raises her eyes to meet mine. Our eyes lock, and she is unflinching. Unwavering. Oh, the poise! The conviction!

What if this worked for adults? First thing I would do is show up at the utility company, bill in hand.
"I told you I wasn't going to pay this bill and you said 'OK'."
"Ma'am, I don't think so."
"Yes, you did. My daughter Ella heard you."
This is the part where I really think you have to master the eye lock. You have to look firm, yet innocent. Being three wouldn't hurt.
"Oh, OK, then, into the shredder it goes!"
Best. Superpower. Ever.

This really just substantiates to me that three year olds are the most amazing, peculiar creatures. And they obviously possess mind control. It is one of the reasons we don't tend to eat our young, as well as why I am doing a web search for mermaid costumes in size 4 at 9 am in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment