Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Night Devoid of Stars

Recently, we received the news of the demise of Osama Bin Laden. I don't think it would be unwarranted to say that most Americans would consider this a victory, though there seems to be some debate on whether the victory is a political or military one. Suffice it to say a weight of some measure has been taken off the shoulders of America.

What I don't get, however, if some of the responses I am seeing. The gleefully venomous responses of those on Facebook, Internet, and even in person. Don't get me wrong, I do not feel that it shouldn't have been done, however, I see it as a necessary evil, rather than a celebratory event. Since when is the loss of human life cause for celebration? As Americans, we were appalled when we saw the Muslim celebratory reaction to 9/11.



But it doesn't look much different from this, does it?



No? Really? Huh.

Thankfully, I was not the only one who felt strangely unthrilled by a Osama's death. In response to this, a quote spread across Facebook like wildfire:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr

Then, it was quickly pointed out that this was an incorrect quotation, as though that invalidated the legitimacy of the sentiment. (What's that on my face? Egg? Strange..) That's fine, I am a stickler for correctness. Turns out the quote originated here:
http://i.imgur.com/cqtjw.jpg
and the first sentence was not part of the MLK quote, but touching words by the poster, Jessica Dovey, who is, no doubt, having her FB account blown up with friend requests. The rest of the quote, is, indeed MLK, and appeared in his 1963 Strength to Love.

Are we as Americans no better than the very people we labeled as barbaric savages? Perhaps "justice" is subjective...but as human being maybe we should be looking at the type of people, the kind of country we want to be. Just my $.02. I'll try again tomorrow to regain my faith in humanity.

I would like to thank Steve Hollier for his article that I found this morning on my search for pictures. I took the two that I used from his blog on Wordpress. You should really check it out!
http://stevehollier.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment